For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body.
So you also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority.
The Rich Man
Someone came to Jesus with this question: “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?”
“Why ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. But to answer your question—if you want to receive eternal life, keep the commandments.”
“Which ones?” the man asked. And Jesus replied: “‘You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely.
Honor your father and mother. Love your neighbor as yourself.’”
“I’ve obeyed all these commandments,” the young man replied. “What else must I do?”
Jesus told him, “If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
But when the young man heard this, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.
Things that supposedly complete us:
– Respect / Recognition
– Knowledge / Wisdom
– Spirituality / Religiousness
– Talents, abilities or gifting
Everything Is Meaningless
“Everything is meaningless,” says the Teacher, “completely meaningless!”
I observed everything going on under the sun, and really, it is all meaningless—like chasing the wind.
The Futility of Pleasure
I said to myself, “Come on, let’s try pleasure. Let’s look for the ‘good things’ in life.” But I found that this, too, was meaningless.
But as I looked at everything I had worked so hard to accomplish, it was all so meaningless—like chasing the wind. There was nothing really worthwhile anywhere.
Both will die. So I said to myself, “Since I will end up the same as the fool, what’s the value of all my wisdom? This is all so meaningless!”
So I came to hate life because everything done here under the sun is so troubling. Everything is meaningless—like chasing the wind.
For people and animals share the same fate—both breathe and both must die. So people have no real advantage over the animals. How meaningless!
though I could have confidence in my own effort if anyone could. Indeed, if others have reason for confidence in their own efforts, I have even more!
I was circumcised when I was eight days old. I am a pure-blooded citizen of Israel and a member of the tribe of Benjamin—a real Hebrew if there ever was one! I was a member of the Pharisees, who demand the strictest obedience to the Jewish law.
I was so zealous that I harshly persecuted the church. And as for righteousness, I obeyed the law without fault.
I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done.
Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ
I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death,
Jesus completes us:
– Relationships: 1 John 3:1 – See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are! But the people who belong to this world don’t recognize that we are God’s children because they don’t know him.
– Education: 2 Corinthians 3:5 – It is not that we think we are qualified to do anything on our own. Our qualification comes from God.
– Money: Psalms 16:5 – Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing. You guard all that is mine.
– Respect / Recognition: 1 Samuel 2:30 – “Therefore, the Lord, the God of Israel, says: I promised that your branch of the tribe of Levi would always be my priests. But I will honor those who honor me, and I will despise those who think lightly of me.”
– Marriage: Isaiah 54:5 – For your Creator will be your husband; the Lord of Heaven’s Armies is his name! He is your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel, the God of all the earth.
– Knowledge / Wisdom: 1 Corinthians 1:30 – God has united you with Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made him to be wisdom itself. Christ made us right with God; he made us pure and holy, and he freed us from sin.
– Spirituality / Religiousness: Philippians 3:9 – and become one with him. I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ. For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith.
– Ministry: 1 Timothy 1:12 – I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength to do his work. He considered me trustworthy and appointed me to serve him,
– Talents, abilities or gifting: 1 Corinthians 1:31 – Therefore, as the Scriptures say, “If you want to boast, boast only about the Lord.”